We were asked by our friends over at Leah Marie Photography to guest blog for them. They wanted our take on the top 5 first dance songs. You can read the article on their site at https://leahmariephotography.com/5-best-first-dance-songs/ or just scroll down a bit more and read it here.
The landscape is crowded with songs that couples can choose to play while they share their first dance. It is also the hardest to recommend. The first dance should be part of your story, but for some looking through the many, many options can be daunting. Never fear we’ve got you covered. Here are 5 songs you should take a listen to as you are deciding the melody that will play as you share that first dance as a married couple.
- At Last – Etta James. Sometimes you have to look to the past to get the song to start your future. This classic has been used before, but for very good reason. It is extremely romantic; the easy tempo makes it easy to dance to and it holds up. Especially if this wedding is “Years in the Making”
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra. OK there are almost as many versions of The Way You Look Tonight as there are first dance songs to pick from, however Old Blue Eyes version sticks out for the its slightly upbeat tempo. In ballroom dance parlance it is a foxtrot, yet the beat isn’t so structured that it doesn’t allow for a little free form. If moving hug isn’t your scene, The Way could give you just enough to stand out but not so much that it requires some sort of complex choreography.
- Lover – Taylor Swift – I know putting this song on the list will be somewhat controversial but take a moment, pull it up on Spotify and have a listen. Go ahead we’ll wait…
See, this song speaks to a love that is at the start of a long journey. Three summers together as a couple now it’s time to start their forever. A quick scan of the lyrics and you will quickly find that TSwift doesn’t just do breakup songs.
- Amazed – Lonestar – Country just seems to have the market covered on classic love songs and there certainly wasn’t a shortage on options. Millionaire, Tennessee Whiskey, From the Ground Up all could have taken this slot. Why Amazed? Well, very few songs about, well shall we say the wedding night can stand to the spotlight of being the first dance quite like Amazed. Your hair all around me, baby you surround me… yup, get a room you two. Yet take a listen to some others “Crash into me” for instance. Yup you can feel comfortable with grandma watching on as you and your forever enjoy dancing to the Lonestar hit.
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran – Just like how you can’t imagine Single Ladies existing outside a bouquet toss Thinking Out Loud, seems like it was written especially for couples to enjoy their moment on the dance floor. Just as The Way You Look Tonight gets recognized for being a bit more upbeat, Thinking Out Loud is upbeat enough to give you something to move to while not getting completely covered kind of like jumping into the shallow end. You’re still taking a plunge just not letting the water get above your head.
Just 5. I know how could we limit ourselves. We had to otherwise we could be here forever. So fret not if this list didn’t solve your problems check back as there is a better than average chance that we will be back with “Another 5 first dance songs.